Image Map

Thursday, October 23, 2014

What is the Definition of Success?

Success, success, success.

That's the calling card of Western society. Your worth on this earth is validated once you have achieved success.

But what is success?

It depends on who you ask. In a slow-paced society, it might come down to family and community. You are successful if you have duly served those around you in love and compassion and have ensured a prosperous future for your descendants.

In America, success - generally - is far more individualistic. The needs of the one outweigh the needs of the many. Success is marked by a lucrative career, a big house, stuff. The one with the most money wins.

That's how I have always defined it. I'm driven by achievement. It's not enough to be good at something - I must have the titles, the accolades. I'm not good at something unless I'm being paid to do it.

I asked some friends how they define success, and here's what they said:

"Independent, confident, financially stable, happy!"

"By the impact I have on those in my life."

"Being the best you can be and trying as hard as you can." 

To them, it's not about the titles, or the awards, or the praise. It's about what you are most comfortable with.

Success is personal, not universal.

For me, success is most about community. When my personal relationships thrive, I thrive. I feel a purpose in serving others. I glow.

To find what makes you glow, listen to your internal voice. Find what makes you overflow with love and energy. Get in touch with your soul through meditation and experimentation, and you will be more equipped to discern the activities that align with who you are.

"Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally." - David Frost

I like this quote because it asks us to focus on the journey, not the destination. If you are living your truth, success will inevitably follow.

So perhaps "What is the definition of success?" is not the right question. Instead, I ask,

What do you believe in?

- Elena

No comments:

Post a Comment