Image Map

Monday, November 24, 2014

The Magic of Progress

When I sit down on Sunday evenings to write these weekly posts, the first thing I usually do is have an argument with myself about what I'm going to write about. You see, throughout the week, I will have multiple ideas for what to write about floating around in my mind, but none of those ideas are ever super defined. Therefore, I will have to pick the most prominent thought and build my post around that.

Today's post is a little different. You see, I have known exactly what I wanted to talk about for the past four or five days. When the thought entered my mind, no others followed because I knew that this one was "the one" for November 24th.

Progress.

This is a little things that we all spend a lot of time thinking about, but often never actually experience the benefits of. If you're anything like me, you really enjoy thinking about progress instead of making progress. This comes with having an overactive imagination.

I can imagine a giant increase in the word count of my novel.

I can imagine holding the first completed manuscript of that novel in my hands.

I can imagine the feeling that I will have when someone buys the first copy of said novel.

But, none of that is ever going to happen if I'm spending all of my time imagining instead of writing. Imagination is a grand thing, but it often gets in the way of the even more important concept of making progress.

The cool thing about progress is that while it's often difficult to catch a glimpse of it, once you catch that glimpse...you're hooked. Progress is the first and last step to completion.

So, how do you catch that coveted first look at progress?

Well, like Elena said in her post last week...you just have to do it. You have to sit down, and get to work. You have to dive in and get started.

No one is going to meet your goals for you. No one is going to start that business for you. No one is going to write that book for you. No one is going to accomplish things for you.

It's all up to YOU.

What are you waiting for? Go get started. Not sure how? Do some research. Ask someone who can help. Do some critical thinking. Do whatever you have to do to figure it out.

Make some progress.

I wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving holiday!

-Miranda

No comments:

Post a Comment